Monday, July 28, 2008

I've done the unthinkable

It's true - I actually bought that prenatal yoga tape...and actually did it yesterday. That's right, people - I exercised. Normally, exercise is the last thing on my priority list -- right after "poke self in the eye with sharp object." But, because my son has decided to grow so darn big and squash some critical nerve endings, it's become mandatory.

At last, I know the stretch of a good yoga session. After about an hour of downward dogs, squats, plank poses, "extending the spine" and deep breathing, according to the tape, my hips and back are looser and should help me be more comfortable. And here's the thing - I'm actually sore today. So, I guess I needed it.

However (and there's always a however in life) I did find myself raising my eyebrows a few times during the DVD. The instructor's "imagine your baby enjoying this stretch," "feel at one with the movement," and other similar comments felt cheesy to me, rather than relaxing.

So, I may be missing the "relaxation" part of the yoga exercise (including the "become one with your baby" meditation exercise at the end of the tape that I skipped), but the stretching sure felt good -- so let's hope I can keep it up and that it helps me waddle a bit less in the coming weeks and months.

No comments: